For exhibitions and sponsorship opportunities:
- Click here for PHIST Exhibition Manual
- Click here for PHIST Sponsorship Package
Register to attend PHIST NOW (entry is complimentary) and exhibition information here.
This year’s Phuket Hotels for Islands Sustaining Tourism (PHIST 2020) event is breaking down borders and going virtual. On Tuesday, September 15th, Asia’s largest and most innovative movement to bring sustainability to the region’s hospitality and tourism industry will take place in a single day, online format. With over 1,200 expected to participate, this will be the third year for this high-energy event.
PHIST 2020 is highlighted by a main session featuring leading voices in the industry. There is a continuous full-day large-scale exhibition of green hospitality innovations, technology, products and services and five educational-focused masterclass workshops.
Headline speakers include design-icon Bill Bensley, hotel leaders Neil Jacobs of Six Sense and Mandarin Oriental Hotel Groups’ James Riley, noted Thai Marine biologist Dr. Thamrongnawasawat and many others. Some of the key topics range from talks about the post-crisis flight from overtourism, the dynamic shift away from mass travel markets, conserving Thailand’s natural attractions, putting metrics to green travel, farm-to-fork, rewilding and renewable energy for hotels.
PHIST 2020 is organized by the Phuket Hotels Association, Greenview and C9 Hotelworks with support by the American Chamber of Commerce Thailand, QUO and Delivering Asia Communications. Attendance is free for the event, including sessions, the exhibition and networking with pre-registration required.
Participants are also encouraged to donate during registration to the Phuket Hotels Association Green Planet Learning Hub initiative which is under development and will teach sustainable, environmental practices to over 5,000 Thai school-aged children a year.
Event starts from 9 am – 6.30 pm
- Green Groove Exhibition : Meet the most beneficial and useful options for hotels to preserve the natural environment and reduce unnecessary waste in Phuket and beyond.
- 9.00-10.00 AM : Renewable Energy for Hotels 101 by John Farrell, Director, Matt Carlisle, Operations Manager, XCO2
- 10.00-11.00 AM : Sea Circular Economy by Maggie Lee, Programme Management Officer, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- 11.00 AM-12.00 PM : Sustainable Events and Meetings by Pat Satkhum, Senior Manager, TCEB
- 12.00 -01.00 PM : Farm-To-Fork, A Practical Guide for Hotels by Jason Friedman, Founder, JM Friedman & CO. & James Noble, Co-Founder, Origin
- 01.00-02.00 PM : Corporate Sustainability for Up and Coming Hotel Groups by Matawee (Nim) Mujchapan, Operations Manager – Environment & Sustainability, Centara Hotels & Resorts, Iris Lam, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group, Douglas Martel, CEO, ONYX Hospitality Group
The main event starts at 2 pm onward
- Opening and Keynote: It Takes An Island : Bill Barnett, Managing Director, C9 Hotelworks , Eric Ricaurte, Founder, Greenview
- Rewilding : A Walk on the Wild Wild Side : Bill Bensley, Creative Director, BENSLEY, interviewed by Anthony Lark, President Phuket Hotels Association
- CEOs Talk - 1 on 1: The New Green Stay by Neil Jacobs, CEO Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spars and Bill Barnett, Managing Director, C9 Hotelworks
- CEOs Talk - 1 on 1: An Unexpected Sustainability Champion James Riley, CEO Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group and Eric Ricaurte, Founder, Greenview
- From Hotel Banker to Youth NGO Founder Andrew (Andy) Stein, Founder, The Orphaned Starfish Foundation interviewed by David Johnson, CEO, Delivering Asia Communications
- Interview – Conserving Thailand’s Natural Attractions with Dr. Thon, Kasetsart University by Marisa Sukosol, Thai Hotel Association (TBC)
- Stacking Up Green Hotels by Jesper Palmqvist Asia Pacific Area Director, STR
- Interview – OTAs – Full Green Ahead David Keen, CEO, QUO interviews a champion (TBC)
- A Life Without Walls – Walking The Talk by Anneke van Waesberghe, Co-Founder, Escape Nomade
- Climate Change for the Next Generation by Esther and Janice Lao, Group Director Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability, The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels
- Green Planet Learning Hub Jayne MacDougall and Claudine Nagiah, Sustainability Director, Blue Tree Phuket
- My Generation - Benjamin Oh, Howarth